Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mesh Solutions.

There are a few answers to the problems. The first big answer is to wait— some of the problems will get better. We will get custom skeletons and may get two-sided normals and other tasty features. But some of the larger problems may remain. How to stop worrying and learn to love the mesh?

1. For large mesh, I mentioned in the previous post that creators may need to cut their tree or other large build into smaller pieces. I haven't experimented with this, so I may well be talking out of my hat, but there may be a balance to be struck between size and prim count. I have uploaded a house cut to smaller pieces and was fairly satisfied with the overall prim count I got.

2. Use mesh for details. This has come up several times in the mesh beta meetings over the last few months: the idea that mesh should be used for details, not for large builds. A disappointment for many of us. We wanted a whole mesh cathedral, not just mesh gargoyles, but that might be all we can reasonably get.

3. Since mesh avatar faces don't animate at present, one trick I've used that may work for some avatars is to use an alpha over the torso and limbs of an avatar and leave the head visible. This works well on some abstract avatars and lets your customer keep their identity and expressions.

4. Use the beta grid mesh sandboxes. They will remain after mesh goes live across the main grid. They won't spare you all the frustration of mesh uploads, but they will save you money.

I wish I had an answer to the problems of scripting and linking. They've both eliminated some of my plans for mesh, and I can't imagine the disappointment of the vehicle makers who have been diligently following the mesh beta and honing their skills. Skills which, at the present, may be wasted.

No comments: